Can you feel the excitement in the air? Are parts of your body tingling with anticipation? You’re not alone, if you’re a gamer, though you may want to check with a doctor about that tingling sensation. E3 will be taking place on Monday June 9th and there are already an insane amount of rumors floating around. As a gamer myself I’m quite anxious to see what will be announced during the conferences next week. I thought I’d make a few comments on “the big three” and what they might reveal based on rumors I’ve come across.
Microsoft – June 9th, 12:30PM EST
Microsoft has already announced a few titles early, but they’ve been ones that were leaked months ago. Most of what they’ve shown have been teasers more than actual reveals too. For instance, they only showed some concept art for Halo 5 and acknowledged it existed. I’ll rattle off what I’m expecting from them.
- Full gameplay demo of Sunset Overdrive.
- White X1 console this fall alongside Sunset Overdrive.
- Halo 5 will have a gameplay trailer and possibly a live demo.
- Halo 2 Anniversary will be released this fall for the X1.
- A new Quantum Break gameplay trailer and possibly a live demo.
- Forza Horizon 2 gameplay trailer and possibly a live demo.
- Crackdown 3 CG trailer
- Gears of War 4 CG teaser
- Fable Legends gameplay trailer
- A little talk about their original programming, e.g., the Halo TV series.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare stage demo
- Mass Effect 4 announcement trailer
Rumors and thoughts:
According to rumors, they apparently have at least one major 3rd-party exclusive, but no one seems to know for sure what it’ll be. People have said it might be a new Vanquish, Dragon’s Dogma, KOTOR, or Dino Crisis. There’s also supposed to be an exclusive title from Platinum Games coming out in 2016, so maybe they’ll be showing some sort of trailer for that. I’m sure they’ll have a few more surprises at the end of the show that no one is expecting.
Sony – June 9th, 9:00PM EST
Sony has been really secretive this year, which is a big contrast to how they’ve been over the past few years. This has made some people assume they don’t have many games to show. That’s a bit odd to think though, they announced their conference will be shown in select movie theaters across the country. I don’t think they’d be doing that unless they felt they have a good show planned. Since they’ve been so secretive it’s difficult to predict what they might do.
- Uncharted 4 real-time gameplay demo
- “Project Beast” gameplay trailer
- New Assassin’s Creed stage demo
- Destiny stage demo
- The Order 1886 stage demo
- Sales talk
- Playstation Now information
- The Last of Us PS4 release date
Rumors and thoughts:
Well obviously I have to think The Last Guardian will be shown at the event, possibly the closing video. Sony has said that all of their first-party studios are developing PS4 games, but we’ve hardly seen any of them. There might be a new Crash Bandicoot game based on some of the teases on the internet, though it’s a bit unlikely. I think the exclusive Project Beast game could be released this fall; it’s been in development for 3 years and was rumored to be shown last August at Gamescom. I suppose they might announce a few Vita games as well, something like Gravity Rush 2 or a Bioshock port. Hopefully they at least acknowledge that system. Overall I’m expecting quite a few surprises to be dropped during the conference.
Nintendo – June 10th, 12:00PM EST
Nintendo isn’t having a real conference like Microsoft and Sony. Instead, they’ll be airing some sort of video showcasing all of their new titles. They’ve always been really secretive over the years and so far there haven’t been any real leaks that I’ve heard. Well, I’ve seen fake pieces of paper people have printed out and taken a picture of but that’s about it.
- Yoshi Yarn trailer – Wii U
- New Zelda gameplay reveal – Wii U
- Sonic Boom gameplay trailer – Wii U
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS
- Bayonetta 2 gameplay trailer and release date – Wii U
- X gameplay trailer and release date – Wii U
- Hyrule Warriors gameplay trailer – Wii U
- New characters shown for Smash Bros. and release dates – 3DS/Wii U
Rumors and thoughts:
I remember reading an interview with Iwata that mentioned them maybe doing remakes to help fill the gaps between bigger original titles. I think they’ll show at least one new HD remake because of that, similar to what they did with Wind Waker. It would probably be one of their bigger titles like Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, or Zelda Majora’s Mask. It’s possible they’d remake one or all of the Metroid Prime games in HD as well. It takes less time than developing a brand new title in the series and people have been begging for more Metroid for years. I suppose other titles they could show would be F-Zero, StarFox, or Mario Party with online play.
Now we play the waiting game to see how close I am to my predictions. I’ll be sitting here with snacks in my new place eagerly awaiting all of the conferences. Hope everyone else enjoys them as well! I’ll probably make another post Tuesday night if I have time to recap and ramble about stuff.